Watch decentralized identity in action
- Posted on February 15, 2022
- Estimated reading time 2 minutes
Decentralized identity takes personal or professional identity documents to the digital world. We can now “show” our digital passport to a computer, just like we show our physical passport to a border officer. This extends way beyond just passports, any sort of identifier can be digitized including employee cards, university degrees, right to work documents and employee benefits.
Decentralized identity is based on open standards and is immensely powerful. This is the future of identity online and is enabling use cases currently impossible or extremely expensive with proprietary systems.
If you haven’t already, read our quick guide to decentralized identity and our blog post exploring how biometrics is the catalyst of success for decentralized identity.
The demo video below demonstrates the capabilities of the technology as well as the potential to impact how we do things online.
The video tells the story of Casey, a job candidate. Using decentralized identity technology, she is able to apply for a job, accept the offer and onboard herself to her new employer. Casey proves her details, university certification, right to work, etc. all entirely online.
Casey and her future employer benefit from decentralized identity in multiple ways, for example:
- Casey doesn’t share her date of birth at the application stage, removing bias in candidate selection.
- The employer gets an immediate assurance of Casey’s qualifications, they can see a verified CV and verified university degree, avoiding having to sort through underqualified candidates.
- The job offer can be accepted immediately, online, securing the candidate faster.
- Once accepted, Casey can set up the rest of her work profile online, get the IT setup instructions, share her bank account, etc, making onboarding a breeze.
- And finally, because the employer saves costs with the streamlined process, they share some of that with the Casey to help her celebrate her new job.